In Romania, hydroxychloroquine will continue to be used to treat patients with COVID-19

0
16


Hydroxychloroquine currently remains in the protocol for treating coronavirus-infected patients and will continue to be administered in Romanian hospitals, says the Ministry of Health. The decision comes as the World Health Organization (WHO) announced on Monday that it has “temporarily” suspended hydroxychloroquine clinical trials with partners in several countries as a precaution, and France has banned the use of the drug.

The treatment protocols that reach the hospitals are elaborated by the specialized commissions from the Ministry of Health, and they “have not come so far with proposals to modify the treatment protocol” for coronavirus, the Ministry of Health specified, according to HotNews.

The drugs used to treat COVID-19 are used off-label – outside the instructions in the leaflet – because at the moment there is no treatment for this new condition, the ministry says.

Adrian Marinescu, primary care physician at the Matei Balş Institute of Infectious Diseases in Bucharest, claims that there were no patients who had problems after the administration of hydroxychloroquine and that things are “a little exaggerated”. There are other drugs used in clinical trials, such as Remdesivir, “but that does not necessarily mean that hydroxychloroquine is a bad drug or that so far there have been I do not know what side effects,” says Adrian Marinescu, quoted by HotNews.ro.

The prestigious medical journal The Lancet published a study a week ago that showed that the use of hydroxychloroquine in the treatment of patients infected with coronavirus can be ineffective or even harmful. Hydroxychloroquine is thought to be associated with a higher risk of death in coronavirus-infected patients, according to a study published by The Lancet.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here