COVID-19 coronavirus and flu are respiratory diseases, but there are important differences between the two viruses and how they spread. reported Rospotrebnadzor.
Experts attribute the following features to similarities:
- both cause respiratory illness, which is a wide range of disease options – from asymptomatic or mild to severe illness and death;
- both viruses are transmitted by contact, by airborne droplets and through objects;
- have a similar spectrum of symptoms.
The differences between coronavirus and influenza include the following symptoms:
- the flu can spread faster than the coronavirus – the average serial interval (time between successive cases) in flu is 3 days, and in coronavirus it is estimated at 5-6 days;
- coronavirus affects children less than adults;
- 80% of cases of coronavirus infection (unlike flu) are mild or asymptomatic, but the proportion of severe (15%) and critical cases (5%) is higher than those observed for influenza;
- mortality from coronavirus (3-4%) is supposedly higher than from seasonal flu (0.1%).
Rosportebnadzor notes that currently there are no licensed vaccines or therapeutic agents against coronavirus. The flu vaccine is not effective against the COVID-19 virus, but experts strongly recommend vaccinations every year to prevent the flu.