The advance of the coronavirus in Latin America put the governments of the region on alert since already 15 countries reported confirmed cases. Brazil is the most infected so far (52) but does not register deaths, as if it happened in Argentina and Panama (one deceased in each country). Total, 202 people are infected throughout Latin America.
Coronavirus cases in Latin America
The South American giant registered 52 cases of coronavirus. In the last hours, its president, Jair Bolsonaro, downplayed the disease, noting that there is an element of “fiction or fantasy”About the outbreak. “I think there is an element of fantasy or fiction to say around it. It is not too bad“Said the president, who assured that the media make the outbreak and its impacts more serious.
Brasilia differentiated itself from the central government and adopted measures for five days against the coronavirus, such as the suspension of classes at all levels and events and the obligation for bars and restaurants to separate the tables by two meters.
In another order, the Secretary of Communication of the Presidency of Brazil, Fábio Wajngarten, contracted the coronavirus and awaits the result of a counter test that is being carried out in San Pablo, according to what was announced by the magazine Veja. As a consequence, the president Jair Bolsonaro will undergo monitoring and examinations to determine if he was also infected during the tour they made to the United States last weekend.
The cases in Chile imported from Spain and Italy, two of the European nations most affected by the coronavirus, have motivated the authorities to determine that people entering from those two countries remain in isolation for 14 days.
The supervision of this measure will be in charge of the health authorities, who will follow up the cases until the isolation is fulfilled according to the established protocol for travelers considered high risk.
The Government ordered to apply the teleworking in positions as possible as well as the cancellation of massive events like concerts, in order to reduce the risk of contagion of the new coronavirus COVID-19, for which there are 22 confirmed cases in the country.
The order is for at least the next two weeks, which means the cancellation of events such as the concert of the legendary rock band Guns N ’Roses, scheduled for March 18, as well as the X-Knights motorcycle stunt event.
Argentina (21 cases and one dead)
The Ministry of Health confirmed that there are two new positive cases and there are already 21 infected in Argentina. Until now there was a death, that of a 64-year-old man, who was admitted to the Argerich Hospital. All cases are still imported so far.
The new positive diagnoses confirmed this Wednesday are a patient from the city of Buenos Aires, who according to official information is a 54-year-old man who is hospitalized in intensive care for “desaturation” at the La Trinidad Sanatorium. The patient came from Germany. The other is a case in the province of Buenos Aires, of a 48-year-old woman., an Argentine resident in Spain, who began with symptoms on March 5 when she entered the country and made the medical consultation on day 8. She is hospitalized in a Vicente López hospital.
Ecuador announced budget cuts, reduction of salaries of public employees and indebtedness to face the difficulties derived from the coronavirus and the fall in the price of oil. “The global coronavirus disease is causing an economic crisis worldwide and has hit Ecuador hard“President Lenín Moreno said on radio and television when presenting a series of adjustments.
The president added that the country, dependent on the sale of oil, is losing around eight million dollars a day by the collapse of the price.
The Ministry of Health raised the number of coronavirus cases to 15. In a statement, they detailed that the new patients are a 27-year-old man and a 15-year-old teenager.
Speaking to the media from Lima, the Minister of Health, Elizabeth Hinostroza, He affirmed that they are two brothers from the city of Huánuco who traveled to Europe and are carrying out home quarantine.
The coronavirus will leave economic losses of at least $ 100 million in Peru due to cancellations of tourist trips from those regions, and also drops in their trade with the Asian giant, they told EFE Peruvian experts.
The president of the National Chamber of Tourism (CANATUR), Carlos Canales, said to EFE that “the economic losses are 100 million dollars accumulated”, between cancellations of Chinese and European tourists.
The Mexican government shielded finances and the economy in the face of the global coronavirus crisis and the international war on oil prices, assured the head of the Ministry of Finance and Public Credit (SCHP), Arturo Herrera.
Herrera asserted that the federal administration has taken measures to defend the national economy, reason why it discarded greater affectations to the resources of the State. “(It is) building public finances that are designed within a framework of extraordinary caution, that is, trying to have the economy armored in the face of adverse scenarios,” the secretary said at a press conference in Mexico City.
Panama (11 cases and one dead)
Panama recorded the first death from coronavirus, after the health authorities confirmed that the deceased presented a picture of health complications, and also reported that contagion cases rise to 11.
The Minister of Health, Rosario Turner, He said at a press conference that the deceased suffered from a picture of bacterial diabetes and pneumonia “which was added to the complication of this case.”
This is the director of the Francisco Beckman School, Norato González González, 64, who died on March 8. In this educational establishment, which has been temporarily closed, there are two other people who have tested positive.
The authorities confirmed this Wednesday six new cases of coronavirus in Colombia, including an American who arrived in Cartagena de Indias last Sunday, with which the number of infected people in the country rises to nine. After this, the government declared the health emergency.
The Vice Minister of Health, Alexander Moscoso, He pointed out in a press conference that the health authorities confirmed the new cases: two in Bogotá, one in Cartagena and three in Medellín.
The three from Medellín, two men and one woman, are “the first cases of local transmission detected by active search“They were in contact with a 50-year-old woman who tested positive in that city after returning from Spain.
The president said that it is “drastic measures”That are taken for the first time in the country before the threat of the disease.
For his part, the Minister of Health, Julio Mazzoleni, expressed that the measures include the suspension of other events such as concerts, religious gatherings, policies and activities in closed places such as cinemas or theaters.
Dominican Republic (5 cases)
The Dominican Republic reported that three of its citizens from Italy recently tested positive for the coronavirus, thereby confirmed cases rise to five of the disease detected in the country so far.
The Minister of Public Health, Rafael Sánchez Cárdenas, made the announcement at the Las Americas International Airport where he received the five Dominican students from Ukraine, where they were transferred from the Chinese city of Wuhan, where the disease originated.
“We want to take the opportunity to report that we have verified three new cases of coronavirus in the country, which correspond to a Dominican who lives in Italy who came on vacation, a young woman of 29 who was also in Milan, and a 12-year-old boy from a family who was in Italy and has arrived and tested positive, “said the official. to television media.
The Ministry of Public Health of Cuba announced that they have diagnosed the first three cases of coronavirus in their territory, corresponding to three tourists from the Italian region of Lombardy.
According to a statement from the entity, tourists had arrived at the José Martí International Airport in Havana several days ago and they were staying in a hostel in the city of Trinidad. Another member of the group has given negative in the test to diagnose the coronavirus.
After presenting respiratory symptoms, they were admitted “immediately” to the Pedro Kouri Institute of Tropical Medicine. Likewise, the evolution of those affected is “favorable” and no one presents, up to now, danger to their life.
On the other hand, the Cuban Ministry of Public Health reported what Currently carry out “epidemiological surveillance and control” actions people who have been identified as “contacts”, but remain “asymptomatic”.
The interim Government of Bolivia confirmed three cases of coronavirus in the country, which adds to other nations of America with this disease.
The Acting Minister of Health of Bolivia, Hannibal Cruz, appeared before the media in La Paz to communicate the first cases, with a message to the Bolivian population so that “keep calm”And trust the authorities to control the coronavirus.
Soon after, the Bolivian government declared the “national emergency” to facilitate the use of state resources in actions against the coronavirus (COVID-19).
The Honduran Minister of Health, Consuelo Flores, confirmed this Wednesday the first two cases of coronavirus, making Honduras the third country in Central America with infected people.
“The Ministry of Health through the national virology laboratory has confirmed by laboratory examination the first two cases of Covid-19 in Honduran territory”, Minister Alba Consuelo Flores announced in an appearance before the press.
He added that The first case is of a 42-year-old Honduran woman in pregnancy., who entered the country on March 4 through the Toncontin airport in Tegucigalpa on a flight from Spain. The second case is that of a 37-year-old woman who entered the country on March 5 through the Ramón Villeda Morales airport in the northern city of San Pedro Sula on a flight from Switzerland.
Jamaica’s Minister of Health and Welfare, Chris Tufton, confirmed this Wednesday two cases of COVID-19 in the country and he warned that now the stage may come when the disease will spread.
“We are not in it yet, but it can happen“He said at a press conference with the prime minister, Andrew Holness.
In this sense, they warned that if they reached that point restrictive measures related to meeting places will have to be taken with high numbers of people like colleges and universities to stop the spread of the disease.
The two cases are a woman from Jamaica, who arrived on March 4 from the United Kingdom and was suspected of having the disease, and an official of the United States embassy who had traveled to that country as well.