Armenia, Azerbaijan agree to new ceasefire in Nagorno-Karabakh conflict

0
0


Issued on: Modified:

                Armenië en Azerbeidzjan hebben zaterdag overeenstemming bereikt over een nieuw humanitair staakt-het-vuren vanaf middernacht in de strijd om de door Azerbeidzjan gecontroleerde etnisch door Armeniërs gecontroleerde enclave Nagorno-Karabach, zeiden beide landen in identieke verklaringen.
            </p><div>

                                    <p>Azerbeidzjan en Armenië hadden elkaar eerder op zaterdag beschuldigd van nieuwe aanvallen die in strijd waren met een week oude Russische wapenstilstand die de ergste gevechten in de zuidelijke Kaukasus sinds de jaren negentig niet had kunnen stoppen.

Baku said 13 civilians had been killed and more than 50 injured in the city of Ganja by an Armenian missile strike, while Yerevan accused Azerbaijan of continued shelling.

The fighting is the worst in the region since Azerbaijani and ethnic Armenian forces went to war in the 1990s over Nagorno-Karabakh, an area internationally recognized as part of Azerbaijan but populated and ruled by ethnic Armenians.

<div class="m-em-image">

On September 27, fighting broke out between Armenian and Azerbaijani forces over the controversial separatist region of Nagorno-Karabakh. © France24 / Graphic studio
    </div>De Russische minister van Buitenlandse Zaken Sergei Lavrov, die een week geleden bemiddelde bij de onderhandelingen over het staakt-het-vuren, sprak zaterdag telefonisch met zijn Armeense en Azerbeidzjaanse tegenhangers en benadrukte dat de wapenstilstand moet worden nageleefd, zei het Russische ministerie van Buitenlandse Zaken.

The Nagorno-Karabakh Ministry of Foreign Affairs said in a statement after the announcement: “We welcome the efforts of the OSCE Co-Chairs of the Minsk Group and of Armenia to achieve a ceasefire in the Azerbaijani conflict zone. -Karabakh and to ease tensions.

“Nagorno-Karabakh reaffirms its willingness to maintain the terms of the humanitarian ceasefire on a reciprocal basis … according to the Moscow Declaration of October 10 and the Agreements of October 17.”

The Minsk Group is led by Russia, France and the United States.

French President Emmanuel Macron said the ceasefire must be unconditional and strictly respected by both parties.

“This ceasefire must be unconditional and strictly enforced by both parties. France will be very vigilant about this and will continue to work so that hostilities cease forever and credible discussions can start quickly, ”the president’s cabinet said in a statement.

<em>(FRANKRIJK 24 met REUTERS)</em>


            </div>

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here